Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bloodsucking Fiends Discussion Questions

BLOODSUCKING FIENDS - Book Guide Questions

1. Jody is totally unprepared for being a vampire. How do you think you would react to waking up one day having been changed into a vampire? Would you try to live a normal life? Once you adjusted to being a vampire, do you think youd want to change back into a human being if the opportunity was offered?

2. Jody has obviously had a tough time with the men in her life; do you think this affects how she reacts to becoming a vampire? Was the way Jody thought about herself shaped by how men reacted to her? How did you feel when Jody started to come into her own as a vampire and enjoy her powers?

3. The Emperor seems genuinely concerned about the well-being of the residents of his city, despite the dire circumstances in which he lives. What does this say about mental illness? Do you think the Emperor went crazy from being homeless, or is he homeless because he is crazy? Is it possible that being crazy isnt always such a bad thing?

4. Toward the end of the book, it looks as if Jody may run off with the old vampire. Did you think that was a possibility? If she did it for the right reason (i.e., to save Tommy), how do you think that would have worked out?

5. At the end of the book, it seems that Jody has decided to turn Tommy into a vampire. Where does their life go from there? Will they stay together? Will they stay in San Francisco? If not, how do you handle travel as a vampire, short of owning a multi-million dollar yacht? Where would you send them?
_________________

4 comments:

hayley said...

1. If I were to wake up one morning having been transformed into a vampire, I don't think I would be very calm. I would most likely try to test every new power I had-including super vision, strength, and agility. Not to mention the fangs. I would adjust to my new abilities and try living normally, only at night. I would definitely jump on the option of becoming a human again, because then I would be able to be a part of the regular world and live during the day. Losing all of my super human powers would be difficult of course, but in the end I think it would be worth it.

--Hayley

zoe :) said...

1. If I were to wake up one morning as a vampire I think at first I would I think I had a hang over (that would explain feeling bad and not remembering the previous night), then try to retrace my steps from the night before, freak out for a while once I realize that I'm a vampire, and maybe try to eat my dog for breakfast or something. After that I would try to find a AA-esque meeting (except it would be VA -- Vampires Anonymous)and hide my transformation as much as I could until nightfall and then I would dress up as something (or someone) completely different from my personality so no one would know that I was eating them. Once I got used to being a vampire, I'd bite my friends in their sleep so I wouldn't be the only vampire I really knew and it would be like being normal again because normal is really a relative phrase.

zoe :) said...

when I said the thing about dressing up to hide myself didn't mean eating them, I meant sucking their blood.

nisha said...

1.) I think that if i were to wake up as a vampire one night i would want to know how it happened. I think i would go insane being a vampire because i most likely would rather be a vampire.